Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Hollandaise Work

The reason for the clarified butter. Making it wasn't bad. The recipe did contain a step that makes no sense to me. After reducing some champagne vinegar with salt and cracked peppercorns au sec, I'm supposed to remove from heat and add cold water. Then I pass the reduction through a fine strainer into a bowl. Makes sense so far. But then I'm suppose to use a spatula to make sure I transfer all the flavoring material into the bowl. If I do that, what was the point of straining? The sauce had the consistency of homemade mayonnaise, which makes sense given that hollandaise is essentially a warm mayonnaise. It looks good in the picture. It broke five minutes later. Ah well. Better luck tomorrow. Next time, I'll have to try this, or, you know, not screw it up.

No comments: