Friday, January 11, 2008

Sur Sous Vide

Since an actual immersion circulator is a bit out of my price range, I make due, quite nicely I believe, with a probe thermometer and a 12-quart stockpot. Circulation is provided by my left arm and a wooden spoon.
Again I made steak (I AM from Texas, after all). I vacuum-sealed it for my protection with my handy-dandy FoodSaver, and following their suggestion, I heated the water to 165F. They also suggest that cooking for 10 minutes will give you a nice medium-rare steak, though I left mine in for 12 minutes, since the last time I did this 10 minutes got me rare instead, which I prefer but I know it's not for everybody.
Out of the water, but still in the bag. You can see all the juices that would have been lost if I had used more traditional methods. Now to hit it with a blowtorch, and voila!
Cut it open, and...

OOOOOO, pretty!!!
Worth checking out is this thread over on eGullet.

1 comment:

Chai said...

medium rare is a wonderful comprimise....
too funny....