Saturday, January 26, 2008

A Strange Combination, And Yet...

My favorite grocery store recently had a coupon for seafood that I felt I had to take advantage of, and so I purchased some Arctic char. Having never cooked char before, I turned to the internet for advice and recipes. I decided to go with this one, as I do rather enjoy chipotle and lime. Alas, I had no ground chipotle, so I used ancho instead. I also had to use the broiler method because, well, I don't have a grill. It turned out alright, though I think 2 tablespoons of salt is a bit too much.
No big surprise, the ancho and lime got me to thinking about Latin flavors. I had purchased some avocados to experiment with, and now seemed a perfect time to try something a little peculiar. I cut up and mashed an avocado, and then mixed in a packet of hot chocolate. A quick Google search shows that this is not that odd a combination, but it's a pretty safe bet that the manner I used is not a normal one. I suppose I thinking about guacamole, with emphasis on the mole. This was not the most appetizing-looking thing, so I added a bit of food coloring.
This was used to coat some egg noodles. Dinner was finished with corn seasoned with salt and liquid smoke.
Overall, I think it was pretty tasty. All the flavors played well with each other, especially when all the components were on the fork at the same time, but could probably use a bit of tweaking.

No comments: