Sunday, April 20, 2008

We're Gonna Need A Bigger Bowl

I finally found a handheld electric smoker at a local head shop. Fans of Top Chef may have seen Richard Blais use a similar model, as well as Katsuya Fukushima during Iron Chef America Battle Goat. I need to get a bigger bowl for the thing as the one it came with isn't quite large enough. I broke out the aluminum foil and improvised one. It worked better than I expected.
Sous-vide mahi mahi, braised swiss chard, lemon powder. The fish wasn't bad though it probably would have been better prepared another way, but I felt like playing. The chard was just braised with lemon juice. The powder is lemon oil and tapioca maltodextrin. After plating the chard and fish I wrapped the plate with plastic wrap and smoked it with the same Tazo tea that I have previously used to poach orange roughy. I let it stay wrapped for about five minutes. When I removed the film, the nice aroma of the tea wafted out after imparting a subtle flavor to the fish.
For dessert, I melted some chocolate, and using balloons, I made little bowls. I mixed some strawberries and 8-year old balsamic vinegar, tossed them in a siphon, and added some CO2 to carbonate them. Some superquick strawberry ice cream and creme fraiche, et voila, a really good ending to a meal.

No comments: